I’m always making the spiral ham for holidays. I’m not much of a turkey lover (seriously, search “turkey” on this blog and see what you get. Nada), so I bring the big ol’ ham to every holiday gathering. The challenge with baking a ham for the holidays is that it needs to heat low and slow and takes up most, if not all, of the oven. This is a real buzz kill when hosting a holiday because you need the oven for other dishes too! Well, have I got a delicious solution for you! Bake that beautiful ham in the Instant Pot and let the pressure cooker make the juiciest spiral ham of your life in 16 minutes or less. Game changer!!
I prefer dry rubs for ham so I had to make sure I could use a dry rub in the Instant Pot, which requires liquid to cook. The results were brilliant! Make sure to use a full cup of water in the bottom of your pressure cooker or the sugars that drip from the rub will cause a burn warning. If you get a burn water, simply add more water to the bottom of the pan. When the ham is done, the water and rub drippings in the bottom of the pot make a beautiful glaze to pour over the meat. So perfect!
Let me know what you think of this recipe. I hope it saves you loads of time this Easter;)
The photo here is a reference for how to place the trivet and ham in the Instant Pot. Easy Peasy!
- 1 cup water
- 1 bone-in spiral ham (up to ~8 pounds for an 8 quart pressure cooker, ~6 pounds for a 6 quart)
- 1 cup coconut or brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- freshly ground black pepper
- Pour 1 cup water into Instant Pot (or you WILL get a burn notice from the dripping sugars).
- Insert the steamer trivet that came with your instant pot into the pot.
- Place ham, cut side down on trivet. If any part of the ham won't fit, trim it off.
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients (sugar, cinnamon, spice, mustard, onion, ginger, pepper) in a small bowl.
- Rub the ham all the way around covering it completely with the rub. Cover and seal the Instant Pot, closing the pressure valve. Cook at HIGH pressure for 2 minutes per pound (16 minutes for an 8 pound ham).
- Let pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then release any remaining pressure. Carefully pull trivet with ham from pot. Place on carving board and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Stir the glaze remaining in the pot. Set pot to SAUTE and allow glaze to reduce for a few minutes. Press CANCEL. Stir and pour glaze into a pyrex or gravy boat.
- Carve ham and serve with the glaze.