You’ve heard of a Greyhound right? It’s the classic grapefruit and vodka cocktail supposedly made famous by the restaurants that served them inside Greyhound bus terminals. Yum. They’re wonderful in their simplicity and flavor. Now, a Salty Dog is a salt rimmed Greyhound. Ya follow? Great! So here I have for you a Salty Chihuahua. A grapefruit and TEQUILA cocktail with a salted rim! See what I did there? Ha!
To take it one step further, I’ve added a dash of orange blossom water to this beautiful cocktail to play off the naturally floral flavors in the grapefruit. There is no added sugar and it sure doesn’t need it. This Monday’s “margarita” has the perfect balance of salt, bitter, tart, and floral. It’s really something special and I know it’ll be in my new weeknight cocktail rotation. It may be the easiest, most rewarding drink ever!
Let me know what you think of this orange blossom salty chihuahua!
- 1 cup unsweetened grapefruit juice
- ½ teaspoon orange blossom water
- 3 ounces tequila
- coarse salt, to rim glass
- grapefruit wedges, to garnish
- Rub grapefruit on rim of glasses then roll rims in the coarse salt.
- Fill glasses with ice.
- In a pitcher, stir together grapefruit juice, orange blossom water, and tequila.
- Pour margarita into glasses and garnish with a grapefruit wedge.