I’ve been making and refining this recipe for years and completely assumed I had posted it at some point. How did I miss that?! These are soooooooo yummy and dense with absolutely no grains or flours at all. The tahini imparts a unique richness you’ll love so don’t skip that part if you can help it. If you must ditch the tahini, replace it with more almond butter. But do try it with the tahini, it’s a big hit in this house!
You can even make this vegan by swapping out the egg for a “chia egg”. You’ll find the substitution in the recipe.
What are your fave grain-free treats?
- ¾ cup creamy almond butter
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¾ cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 Tablespoon finely ground espresso (optional)
- 1 large egg (OR chia egg: 1 Tablespoon ground chia mixed with 3 Tablespoons water)
- ½ teaspoon ground vanilla bean OR 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓+ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients except chocolate chips. I mix it with my hands in the end to make sure the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Use a small cookie scoop or spoon about 2 Tablespoons dough per cookie onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Space 8 cookies per sheet to allow for spreading.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes then check to see if the cookies have spread. Depending on the oil content of your nut butter, they may not spread. If they don't, gently flatten them a bit with the bottom of your spatula. Bake for another 4-6 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.